BenjaminSmith

0-day streak
Got feedback from people in #design about how I am displaying images in cards
image.png
image.png
pxl_20210118_040241412.jpg
Did some more work on my GitHub profile thing
screenshot_20210116-225017.png
Worked on a GitHub Action to update my profile readme from data in Contentful, layout is a bit weird right now
image.png
I have been playing Ben Awad's new game stripcode.dev, at one point I was able to get to first place but now I am at second (and probably will continue to slide down because I am not constantly playing it)
screenshot_20210115-105450.png
I spent the day working on homework so no time for coding
screenshot_20210114-224422.png
I was able to get some electronics parts from DFRobot for free with a $5 coupon for completing a survey and a $10 shipping coupon for my first order
image.png
Couldn't do much coding today but I helped a friend with getting jquery and fomantic ui running in a codesandbox
image.png
I used useImperativeHandle for the first time today
image.png
Almost forgot to put something here today, I worked on getting Auth0 to work in a Next app
screenshot_20210110-224157.png
I designed a microcontroller board (ATtiny1614) with a bunch of other things (button, Qwiic connector, LEDs, capacitive touch controller) shaped like the hack club logo
top.png
Worked on a PCB today but don't have a picture so here's my cat
pxl_20210109_023919781.jpg
My package.json scripts section keeps getting longer and longer
image.png
Tried to get Fusion 360 running on Linux but failed, if anyone has a working method please let me know
image.png
Successfully upgraded my SSD! It turns out that my original SSD wasn't corrupted, it was just the drive enclosure, and getting a better one (with a cooling fan) fixed the issue
image.png
Setup GitPod so I can keep working on my website from my school issued laptop while I wait for a new NVME to USB adapter. I don't have a screenshot of the actual ui so here's my config file
screenshot_20210104-220256.png
Upgrading my laptop's SSD to a 1TB one (no idea why it is so slow, they are both NVME)
pxl_20210104_001405407.jpg
Had to modify my masonry component to use client side JS because I couldn't find a cross platform CSS solution
image.png
It turns out that the method I used for the masonry layout on my website (making the container with the items a flexbox with flex-direction set to column, and adding break-after: page to the places where I want to start new columns) only works on Firefox, so I spent the entire day trying to figure out alternatives. The first one I found is to set the writing mode of the container so text (and span elements) flows vertically, and then reset the properties for the children elements. The second one is to rotate everything 90 degrees so the rows are actually columns, and then rotate each item -90 degrees to be in the normal orientation. I'm not sure which of these is better, I am leaning towards the writing-mode one because I would guess that css transform takes longer. I put together a test site using these at css-columns-force-break.glitch.me, I'll try to do more testing with it tomorrow
image.png
Also here's my GitHub commit graph for the year, it becomes a lot more dense when I started learning React and working on more projects
image.png
Merged all the graphql queries for the index page into one query because there is no point in having them separate, and started working on more types of information to display
image.png
Improved the project pages, switched to using getStaticProps and getStaticPaths for them, and set up Vercel (see a prototype of my website at benjaminsmith.vercel.app, content not final yet)
image.png
I finished getting typescript to work well with GraphQL, added separate pages for projects, a nice 404 page, and a loading screen while Next.js is loading the next page
image.png
I am using Contentful as my website's headless CMS and its GraphQL API marks all properties as optional even if you have set it to required on the web interface, so to use the TypeScript code generated by graphql-code-generator you need to do a lot of null checks. This is for a good reason but I'd rather have that edge case to deal with than have to write a bunch of checks, so I wrote a CLI tool to get the GraphQL schema, modify it so that the types match the data from the Contentful management API, and write it to a file that the codegen tool can use
image.png