@Daniel0Winter Wonderland - Days 5 and 6/10! (#hardware-party)
I passed out before I could write an update yesterday, so this'll contain my progress for both today and yesterday 😅
Using bullet points because they seemed to work well for my last update:
• Printed motor slider block
• Proceeded to break motor slider block when I rode my bike without metal plates clamping the plastic :|
• Soldered banana plugs to ESC motor output
• Soldered hall effect sensor to long wire and crimped end to plug into ESC connector
• Added y-joint to power throttle and crimped throttle sense cable for ESC as well
• Assemble motor and speed controller to bike (use broken slider block because break is along layer lines and those will be clamped by aluminum plates)
• Cable management for wires on bike
• Hot glue hall effect brake setup to handles (only temporarily)
• Testing :)
CAD for reference
@Daniel0Winter Wonderland - Day 3/10! (#hardware-party)
I wasn't able to get my partial depth cut motor plate made today, so I put my attention towards some newly received hall effect sensors! Unlike the last pack I mistakenly ordered, these are ratiometric. This means that their output voltage is proportional to the strength of the magnetic field present (the ones I brought previously only functioned as magnetic switches).
This proportionality is important because these sensors will sense how much I pull the brake lever in order to vary the strength of regen braking. Having varying voltage also means that I'm going to have to tune the speed controller with minimum and maximum voltages output by the sensor.
Testing time! I only slightly burned myself by shorting the sensor, but the sensor was fine. After that slight mishap, I hooked it up to the oscilloscope and grabbed a neodymium magnet I plan to use on the bike. With that specific magnet, I tested the detection range of the sensor and from that determined where the magnet should be mounted for the greatest (while still detectable) range of brake handle motion.
I plan to use good old hot glue to mount the hall effect sensor and magnet to the bike, but if it ends up too janky, I'll design a 3D printed solution.
Aside from machining the motor mounting plate, I also need to 3D print my large pulley. Once that's done, I can get to assembling V1 onto the bike!
CAD for reference