Just fixed the weirdest issue with
vercel dev. Turns out you can't name a Go serverless function
Auth (so I went with
LoginRoute) 🤷I finally got my new hexo theme working and am working on getting it setup with vercel and finishing the blog post on there
blog.devrim.techUpon discovering Faker.js, I decided to build a profile page that generates random user data. Check it out! fake-profile.vercel.app github.com/cjdenio/fake-profile
the vercel team really puts out some amazing stuff. I saw previously that Hack Club had their own version of this and I found it to be really cool, but I only now realized that Vercel developed the original version of it.Chill day today. Used Next.js serverless functions to add APIs to the Hackathons & Events sites, fixed bugs, lounged around. Worked with @cwalker on Operator & @msw on a crazy hack with Vercel.Spent all day today fixing a ton of Scrappy bugs! Here's everything I did today:
• The streak resetter is called by a Zap that runs every hour, but it kept turning off every time it ran because I wasn't sending a response back. Now it's fixed and running every hour! 🕐
• We added text formatting (emojis, channels, and users) a while back, but posts made before that still appeared unformatted. So I wrote a script that formatted every scrapbook update since the beginning ⭐
• Scrappy now publicly links to the scrapbook profile of anyone who shares a CSS style so that anyone can see what the style looks like 🖌️
• If you had a custom scrapbook domain set and you ran /scrappy setdomain again to set a new one, it wouldn't remove your previous domain from Vercel. Now, it does!
• For a while, when you edited a message or shared an unfurled link in a thread, Scrappy would react with a beachball. Now, it doesn't do that anymore
• If you to set your status to a streak number that doesn't match your streak, Scrappy sets your status to a clown emoji. A few days ago I accidentally broke this feature, but I fixed it today! 🤡
• Yesterday, @saharsh submitted a pull request that automatically updates your scrapbook profile when you edit relevant profile information in your Slack profile. Today, I got that PR working, made a few changes, and merged it. Now when your profile picture, website, GitHub profile, and timezone change, it'll instantly be reflected on your scrapbook profile 🙌
• Today, I was made aware that Scrappy occasionally doesn't update people's status, either when they post an update or when their streak is reset. I believe I fixed the issue—I couldn't test it because I couldn't easily reproduce it, but if you notice your streak status not being properly updated, let me know so that I can investigate further!
• In case you didn't know, all full slack members can run /som-promote to promote a multi-channel guest to a full user in Slack. Now, when you do that, it notifies #welcome-committee that they've been promoted so that they can help them get acquainted with the rest of the community!
• And finally: previously when you uploaded large video files (>300MB), Scrappy would falsely tell you your video was successfully uploaded, only to silently fail and display an unsatisfying black screen on your profile. It was failing because 1) Slack wasn't serving the video near-instantly like it normally does with most files, so Scrappy was fetching an error page, and 2) even if Scrappy managed to fetch the large video, it crashed the Heroku dyno because it didn't have enough RAM to download the whole file. My largest project for today was getting large video files to work. Now, if you upload a file that's too big for Scrappy to download, it will wait for Slack to serve the file, upload it directly to Mux (the platform we use to serve video on the website), and notify you when it's processed. So go ahead and upload multi-minute videos now! 📹
If you find any other bugs in Scrappy, please let me know or open an issue in the GitHub repo (github.com/hackclub/scrappy) and I'll fix it. And of course, if you notice any of the bugs I supposedly fixed today persisting, please let me know so that I can look further into them and fix them for good.
Here's a picture of me giving a very good dog a belly rubToday was the first time I ever used a switch case outside of a programming assignment! Had to refractor the image api I’ve been working on because we added a few more image templates, and vercel functions size limit wouldn’t let it all be uploaded as one SWR for React is game-changerThis photo is from a wondrous night with @msw a few days ago…we sat out on the dock looking up at the glorious night sky & I saw the Milky Way I think for the first time. It was a solid day of infrastructure work today though—shipped a massive update to Hack Club Theme & little updates to a bunch of other sites, switched our asset hosting from CloudFront to Vercel, improved documentation on theme-starter, bugs on Bank. Lots of things I work on no one ever notices, but sometimes that’s the most important to work on.I finished moving all of my, and P2P Hack Club’s repositories to use the main branch ‘main’, and I moved everything to host via Vercel! Finally Done with the workswitched to Vercel for my website hostingImproving the speed and performance of the image api with Vercel’s Edge Network and cachingl!