This is probably going to be my last scrapbook post in a while — with school in full swing, I probably won't have as much time to spend on the Hack Club slack anymore 😔 (a bit overdue, but thanks for the amazing summer!).Today I noticed major spamming taking place with Student Who Code user sign ups. I did research asked around in the Slack and created a simple captcha script with plans to improve it in the future.Ah yes, Slack bots written in Go :gopher:Well that's just downright sad.Last day in our temporary office today, in Bloomington:
• Ended SoM hardware grants with a wonderful PR from @sampoder github.com/hackclub/summer-site/pull/57 & gave him feedback on our upcoming homepage by him!!
• Bank: fixed a Transparency Mode bug on the G Suite page
• Bank: reached out to someone I super admire about working on an explorative new project together
• Workshops: in preparation for the new Clubs, standardized our formatting & streamlined authoring open letters github.com/hackclub/workshops/pull/20
• Moved forward on iPad distribution project
• Unblocked @neel.redkar on serverless deployment
• Talked with @michael.destefanis to plan Bank work, @tmb about MacBook project, @msw about Slack comms, then a long chat with @zrl about workflow/responsibilities at HQ
Here’s what @matthew & I made for dinner. Going on a quick weekend trip in the morning! I'm building a Slack app in Dart 🎯! Here's my
pubspec.yaml...i was able to log into slack from a school laptop, even though it's blocked. the only bad thing is i cant screenshot or capitalize letters, so here's walterLearning how to make a bot with the Slack APIsDid a call with Max, Luke, and Malte about some Slack stuff today :slack:WIP concept art for a new project (the #cdn channel in slack)I'm working on an autoreply bot for Slack! :slack:
github.com/cjdenio/replierMaking a slack shortcut :)Designed a decent logo for a new project! :slack: Now I gotta go write the code...Two months ago today, I was invited to join this strange-looking Slack workspace where everyone knew how to code. These past two months have been some of the coolest in my life! :parrot:TIL that when you delete a message, it just turns into a special type of Slackbot message
Wrote an iOS shortcut to scrapbook... that’s slower than just going to the slack app!Some slack stuff I can't show so here is the slack sidebar :)join.slack.com/t/zero2maker/shared_invite/zt-gqec4btg-Dz72CUw~FAQNC7CW7HBzGQ
Launched the Zero2Maker Slack!! Zero2Maker is the community which helped me reach here and getting familiar with the basics! If you like our agenda of building makers, feel free to join and contribute!i dont have anything to post today :(( i went to the lake w some friends and we watched the sunset (literally all i do w friends is watch the sunset lol) so heres a random pic i found cause my phone died while we were there and i couldn't take any pics lolLet's rename Slack to Slacc. What the heck.Productive day yesterday!
• I got our old domains working again (they previously didn’t point toward us, now they just redirect): hackclub.org, hackclub.io, hackedu.us
• Made all the frontend changes for taking down the Apply site in preparation for the new Clubs program this fall
• Began migrating back to the pre-SOM Slack signup flow; CORS nailed me a few times so finishing today
• Made a plan to begin distributing the iPad gifts with @amogh & @dinaelhanan, had a quick call with @christina695, & @tmb was really helpful as well. Super excited to move that project forward!
• Started working on automated checks for various API endpoints around Hack Club; finishing today. Hoping to have a public dashboard
• Removed legacy analytics from v3; need to fix analytics on v2 site today
Today, focused on a wide range of primarily maintenance updates across the org. Photo is from walking around Bloomington last night with @matthew 😊 Reinstalled Slack after a super refreshing week-long break! I mostly binged John Oliver during my break, but I also got back into speedrunning a game called Mirror’s Edge, which I used to play a bunch back in the day, and I managed to finish the game in 32 minutes and 48 seconds, which is currently the 27th best time in the world. I think I could get into the top 20 if I tried some more, but we’re getting back to work soon, so it’ll have to wait until my next break. This took many hours of trying, though, so I’m still really proud of it :) you can check out the full run at youtu.be/KB-GiGYlgiIGuess what! Replier isn't limited to Hack Club anymore; you can now install your favorite autoreply bot on your own Slack workspace! 🎉 :yay: :fastparrot: Install it here!on a slack call with some super awesome people for beta camp!Visible ship actually! The "join slack" button is now on the header againWorking some more on a secret slack bot 👀hackclub.slack.com/archives/C0M8PUPU6/p1582928827097000
So the instructors and EMS peeps at the place where I took my certification test for ACLS sent me this kit as a gift. I'm so psychedWorking on userdata storage for a Slack appMade these slides to show the GG slack community how to follow a message/thread!I spent time debugging with the slack api I just connect GitHub to slack, I didn't know it existedTrying to figure out how to make slack command autocomplete disabled on non legacy commandsI continued working on some slack bots today. This one manages who can join certain channels. A user can request to join a channel, if it exists a request is sent to the channel for anyone on it to approve, and if it doesn’t exist, a private channel is created and that user is added.Bouncing around as usual yesterday:
• Published another VIP newsletter, from June 17: hackclub.com/vip-newsletters/008
• Added a page to our website to answer the common email we get, “Will you sponsor my hackathon?” hackclub.com/sponsorship
• Fixed the Slack form, which is now using the non-SOM flow, where we manually approve people. (Absolute fight to the death with CORS & API headers.) This flow is temporary; discussed with @matthew a new post-SOM Slack signup flow to implement soon
• Fixed Badger the Slack bot, as well as custom emojis on Scrapbook
• Set up automated API testing with checklyhq.com—public dashboard coming soon
• Updated the Code of Conduct to replace there being a specific Working Group with our team: github.com/hackclub/hackclub/pull/1286
• Did the first half of converting hack.af to serverless
I didn’t take any cool photos yesterday, so here’s two from a year ago, walking around Bellefonte, PA at night.made my personal assistant a bit more presentable :)Nothing too much I can publicly share today - did fix my zoom and continue work on the slack bot though! Recently found out about firemonkey which is suppose to be a faster user script manager :yay:Made my first slackbot: automatically sets a new cartoony picrew pfp every minute from this list. (very spaghet) source code here.did some hackerone CTF + slack and tumblr api recon + notes :)I'm proud to announce the launch of Replier, a Slack app for setting up autoreplies! 🤖 🎉 Going on vacation or taking a break from Slack? 🌴 Cover all your bases by automatically letting people know. Try it out here!
Replier is open-source on GitHub, so feel free to open issues, contribute, or give it a 🌟!learned some golang, hacked together and shipped @cheese, and finally used a makefile in a project today.Long day of discussions with team in Vermont. What will the next school year look like? Year of the Rock. Populating Hackerland. Slack as a tool. @cwalker joined us today in Vermont. @iamcpdev is joining team over summer to work with @michael.destefanis on Bank operations.Making a fancy App Home! :slack:Just did a really satisfying refactor, turning ~270 lines into this tiny file you see here! (It's for this project) Made a bunch of upgrades to :scrappy: Scrapbook! Text parsing is much better & handles cases like punctuation following @ mentions, handles edge cases like posts starting with colons, emoji parsing is better, and images now load noticeably faster due to proxying + caching (with HTTP/2 + fewer DNS lookups). You can also now fully opt out of streaks, if you like:
/scrappy-togglestreaks all, & they won’t show up on your profile, Slack status, or elsewhere on Scrapbook. @alchzh upgraded us to Next 9.5 & added tooltips to the contribution chart as well, so thanks! Photo from Switchyard Park, Bloomington.Started work on an Uno game renderer in React (Slack bot to come) :unoreverse:Added profile picture support to my slack-irc bridge :partyparrot:joined this and I'm probably not going to do homework over the weekend because of itI finished making a slack bot today like Clippy to welcome new members to a slack channel. Now I need to figure out how to migrate it from Glitch to something like AWS.Cleaning up my unicode counter (#counttoallofunicode-yuto) and profile pic rotatormade a slack <-> irc bridge for hackagotchi :partyparrot:@luke’s helping me make a slack botI opened a PR in the slack-go repo to add the new Header block!:zizek: - Added some changes to my meme generator, which is at (removed for further improvements). Bottom is a direct quote from the slack, and top is a markov chain of the user who said that quote.Ahhh today I entered Kalustyan’s, aka *spice heaven* !!! :partyparrot_fiesta: Those who know me well know I’m obsessed with all things spice. This was practically Disneyland for me lmao; there were spice mixes from like every country, and like hot sauces to fill three aisles. Also for all the chai lovers out there, here’s a wall of delish chai mix of all flavors.
Today I fulfilled two goals o mine:
• having a huge ass bag of Cajun so I don’t have to keep begging from five guys for a weeks worth of supply lmao
• getting this big ass green tea chai mix that so I have for college
Also, it’s always been a challenge of my friends and I to try to test me w the hottest things we can find to discover my spice threshold (which has yet to be found). Finally found a carolina reaper (2.2 scovilles) which I’m prettty sure should do the trick haha. Shai share my reaction eating it here?
re: the shopping haul pic, I can explain the boric acid. I’m not a madman lmao, it’s for carrom (any carrom players out there?)I am now on the Kode with Klossy slack and start my web development camp next week, so excited!!Skipping stones. Dylan Field AMA today (thanks Dylan!). Slack as a tool.