I'm gonna try to get @scrappy to react with as many emojis as possible, for no particular reason.
Third day on the job: kid cried when presenting a Scratch project... thought it was something I did, turns out to be technical difficulties... 😶 scariest thing in my life, thought I was going to be fired on the third day of work... :scared:
:party-dinosaur::partyparrot::yaylatios: YAHOOOO THERE ARE NO MORE FINALISED CARTS TO REVIEW!!! We did it @roshan!! (though there's still more waves of applicants and we gotta make sure all these deliveries arrive, but let's celebrate?) Over 160 people have had hardware grants shipped to them! (don't forget you can still join in)
We had some family friends come over today, here's a photo of the yummy pavlova my mum made:
Haven't done a lot today, I added a little random mode for my clock for fun and debugging
I also rewrote the display code of the time clock mode so it uses a for loop, kind of better.
I also fixed the thermometer mode to display with only 2 nixie tubes!
And that's all for today ahah. PCB designing is hard, and it's a pain when a part symbol isn't available for kicad :c
:orpheus: (does this count) Here's another thing I made in just over an hour: Orpheus but dressed up as Eleeza Antoinette, my Hackagotchi alter-ego. I tried to paint it like an old-fashioned painting but...idk. Anyways, dino with a princess dress. lol
Today I worked a little bit on the nixie clock firmware!
I added the thermometer mode (as the DS3231 as a temperature sensor), the handling of the mode button to cycle through the different modes, the cathode poisoning prevention algorithm and I changed a little bit how modes are registered to fix a bug in the cycle mode algorithm as std::map orders alphabetically with string keys so I replaced it with a std::vector so I can keep the original order.
The code below is the code of the thermometer mode, there's two display modes (if there's more than 4 nixie tubes) which just defines if the comma is on the same nixie tube as the last integer digit of the temperature.
Here's the commit if someone is interested: github.com/LambdAurora/nixie_clock/commit/1ca878372e1efada336288ecba3bab174d6ae272
Did a lot of testing today! Finally was able to get the Coding Connected header to full width by turning off the animations on mobile.
Also set the date for Students Who Code to launch! It will launch next week, if everything goes as plan on the 22nd!
🎉 🎂 🎊 Happy birthday @neervikasv! Today I went to my friend Neer's birthday party! It may have been a rainy day in Singapore but we still had loads of fun! We tried Five Guy's Milkshakes, eat a lot of Nandos and escaped from a very suspensful Escape Room: Tekong Army Bunk! The best part though has to be this fantastic gift wrapping (Diaso is awesome) that turned into a funky costume:
(i am submitting the landscape photo for the photography contest)
Finally finished some power supplies, sadly the first I finished to solder did not work, I may have overheated the controller :/
That's kind of why I wanted to complete multiple power supplies: I'm sure that at least one will work and if one fail I can replace it easily.
Soldering SMD is hard, I had to solder the smallest IC.
But everything works! I finally can light up the nixies!!!
I finished my Java Gambling Game. This is what it does: It generate 80 numbers, where 20 numbers are selected as winning numbers randomly. The user will input a number and that number will then be used to check if it is a winning number or a losing number. When the game is run, there will be a balance that the player has, which starts at $10. Each bet costs $1, each win gives $5, the game ends when the player’s balance either reaches $0 or $100. Display the balance each time a bet is made, multiple bets can be made in one run of random generated numbers.The bets cannot be on the same number, each bet must be on a unique number. Regardless of if they win or lose the bet, remember that they will spend the $1. After each round of bets, the winning numbers should be randomly shuffled again
Struggled to work a lot of the day due to RSI flaring up (pain & extra heat in my wrists/arms), so got out an old ergonomic keyboard to set up at my desk with my iPad so I can still get work done. It functioned well, but adapting to a totally different keyboard layout slowed down my typing like 70%. Put a new Scrapbook feature on hold, but I updated the Summer of Making site & made it the hackclub.com homepage, redesigned the card pages on Bank with a new layout, & a few other small things. RSI is something I’ve struggled with for several years, typing for so many hours a day, & hoping I can better mitigate it as time goes on.
Done with another python project! Learned how to code a program that fetches a random article from wikipedia. It also provides the title and summary of the article and allows you to choose if you want to read it or not. big thanks to @luke who helped me figure out solutions to every problem i ran into while making it lol.